Are you a science graduate student, postdoc or junior faculty interested in science writing?
Do you want to tell engaging stories about discoveries in science and medicine to a broad audience?
This is for you….
For more information email instructor Dr. Czerne Reid: email@example.com
Spring 2021 – Enroll in Science Journalism
ALL MAJORS WELCOME!
UNDERGRADS: JOU4304 (Class # 30075) –
GRAD STUDENTS: MMC6936 Class# 30764)
– Science Writing, email firstname.lastname@example.org for registration form for your advisor to sign
Mon .Period 9-10 (4:05-4:55, 5:10-6pm),
Wed. Period 9 (4:05-4:55 pm), Rm NPB 1002
Dr. Czerne Reid, email@example.com
Postdoc Editors Association
The UF Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is pleased to announce the creation of the UF Postdoctoral Editors Association (UF-PEA), a service to help postdocs who seek to improve English grammar and writing style. The UF-PEA is comprised of postdoc volunteers from multiple colleges across the University who will offer preliminary review of manuscripts, grant applications, posters, slides and other scholarly presentations. While this service will be most useful to postdocs who speak English as a second language, the service is free and open to all postdocs at UF. Our editors will provide feedback on structure and style of writing, but refrain from commenting on scholarship which is best honed by interactions between the postdoc and their mentor. UF-PEA will facilitate higher level postdoc-mentor interactions by reducing time spent on basic writing needs.
Do you love telling stories about new discoveries in science and health?
Do you see ideas for interesting stories all around you?
Is your favorite part of Science and Nature the science news articles?
If any or all of the above apply, then science writing could be a viable career option for you!
The Science Writing Career Interest Team is here to help you explore the possibilities.
This career interest team provides a venue for graduate students and postdocs to learn more about science writing as a career, engage in relevant activities, and gain valuable experience. Activities are being planned now. If you are interested in being a part of this team from the start and attending an organizational meeting, please contact Dr. Czerne Reid.
In the meantime, please see below for a list of resources and opportunities.
SCIENCE WRITING RESOURCES
Science Writing Organizations
- National Association of Science Writers (NASW)
- World Federation of Science Journalists (WFSJ)
- Association of Health Care Journalists (AHCJ)
- Society of Environmental Journalists (SEJ)
- Council for the Advancement of Science Writing (CASW
Science Writing Websites and Blogs
Science Writing Books
- The Science Writers Handbook: Everything you need to know to pitch, publish and prosper in the digital age
- Science Blogging: The Essential Guide
- The Best American Science and Nature Writing
Science Writing Fellowship Opportunities
- AAAS Mass Media Science & Engineering Fellows Program
- Council for the Advancement of Science Writing Fellowships
Science Writing Jobs Links (some sites may require association membership)
- Society of Environmental Journalists Jobs Resources
- Association of Health Care Journalists Job Postings
- National Association of Science Writers Resources